Care home resident, 78, died of a massive drugs overdose

A care home resident died from a drugs overdose after an agency nurse gave her a powerful painkiller which was prescribed to a patient with the same name an inquest heard.

The resident 78, had only been at the Cedar Court Care Home in Wigston, Leicestershire, for a few hours when she was accidentally given a dose of oxycodone which was meant for another patient.

An inquest into her death heard how the dosage of the drug – a powerful painkiller similar to morphine – was the right amount for the other Resident, but was 16 times the safe amount for the resident

More

At the time of the residents death, the police investigated, but the case was dismissed by the Crown Prosecution Service, the inquest heard.

The inquest continues.

Private mental health group faces multimillion fine after death of NHS-funded girl in its care

A private mental health group is facing a multi million-pound fine for breaching health and safety laws after a 14-year old with a history of suicide attempts died in its care.

The girl was treated at the Priory Group’s Ticehurst House psychiatric hospital in East Sussex and was deemed high-risk, but three months after she was admitted she died in the trust’s care, Brighton Magistrates’ Court heard.

The Priory Group is charged with failing to discharge its duty to ensure people were not exposed to risk in what is thought to be the first prosecution of its kind. Prosecutor Sarah Le Fevre proposed a £2.4m fine as the starting point for the offence, although the company could be fined an unlimited amount.

More

 

NHS Trust fined after two employees stabbed

NHS Oxleas Foundation Trust has today been fined £300,000 after two nurses suffered life-changing injuries when they were repeatedly stabbed by a service user.

The Old Bailey heard how, in July 2016 a health care assistant, was preparing toasted sandwiches for the staff and some of the patients in the kitchen on the Burgess Ward of the Bracton Centre, which is a medium secure forensic unit in Kent. He went to leave the kitchen to speak to a service user, leaving the knives on the work surface.

As the health care assistant opened the door, which had been locked from the inside, one of the service users who had been seen nearby pushed him back into the kitchen, forcing him onto the floor. The service user then grabbed a kitchen knife from the side and stabbed  multiple times in the chest and stomach. I

Details

Worker severely injured after falling down a lift shaft

A privately owned care home has today been fined after an employee sustained severe injuries following a fall from height.

Kilmarnock Sheriff Court heard that on 9 July 2015 the lift shaft at Abbotsford Nursing Home had stopped between the upper and lower floor. A lift engineer attended and told the Director there was an issue with the access platform but that, as before, a screwdriver could be used to facilitate opening the door of the lift.

Woodbay allowed its employees to continue to use the lift in these circumstances. An employee used a screwdriver to open the lift, she intended entering the lift backwards, and in doing so fell approximately four metres to the ground as the platform had not been brought up to the landing.

Fined £50,000.
Details

Healthcare company sentenced after patient fatally injured

A healthcare company has been fined after a vulnerable patient suffered fatal injuries during a minibus journey.

Nottingham Crown Court heard how, on 16 March 2014, a vulnerable patient was fatally injured when returning from an out of hours GP appointment at Nottingham Emergency Medical Centre in a minibus. Samantha Barton died after opening a door and leaping from a minibus which was traveling at speed on the A52, just outside of Nottingham…….

…..been fined £500,000 and ordered to pay costs of £67,500.

More

Care Company fined after worker fell down a lift shaft

A care home was sentenced after an employee suffered significant injuries after falling around 1.5 metres down a lift shaft.

An investigation by the HSE found that the door locking mechanism had been broken for about a month prior to this incident and management failed to deal with the known issue of employees overriding the door safety locking mechanism with a screwdriver. The lift had also not been thoroughly examined.

Sutton in the Elms Care Limited of Sutton Lane, Leicester pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and Regulation 9(3)(a)(i) of the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations and has been fined £14,000.00 and ordered to pay costs of £2535.90

More

BUPA fined £3m after death of elderly resident

A care provider has been fined following the death of a resident at an Essex nursing home after he contracted Legionnaires’ disease.

The resident 86, died three months after moving into Hutton Village Nursing Home, which is operated by BUPA Care Homes (BNH) Ltd.

The investigation found that for more than a year, during which time major refurbishment works were carried out, BUPA Care Homes (BNH) Ltd failed to implement the necessary control and monitoring measures required to safely manage their hot and cold water system. It also found those responsible for overseeing legionella controls and for taking crucial water temperature measurements had not been trained to the required standard.

Fined £3m and ordered to pay costs of £151,482.

More